John Eareckson built the house on Batts Neck Road, Kent Island, MD between 1795 and 1815. It has been called the Legg-Eareckson Farm and the Beveridge Farm. John married a daughter of Thomas Winchester and Margaret Derochburne, either Sarah or her sister Ann. The Derochburnes had patented "Friendship Resurveyed" of about 396 acres and "Josephs Addition" of about 60 acres. These tracts came to Thomas Winchester through his wife, and part of this land went to his daughter, wife of John Eareckson. In 1814 John received a patent for the resurvey of his land which included parts of Friendship Resurveyed, Cabbin Neck, and Neglect. His resurvey was called Eareckson's Prospect, 295.5 acres.